Why would you prescribe a sedating anti-histamine for children when there are safe alternatives?
Phenergan and similar brand pharmaceuticals contain the active ingredient promethazine, which is a sedating antihistamine. This drug is often prescribed for short- term use for children to aid restful sleep. It is prescribed for children from ages 2 to 12 years.
Some of the side effects include: fever, difficulty breathing, irregular heart- beat, jaundice – yellow tinge to skin or eyes, tremors or convulsions, tinnitus – buzzing, hissing, ringing or other persistent noise in the ears, seizures (fits), hallucinations, nervousness and irritability, anxiety, twitching or jerking muscles.
In 2 year olds the potentially fatal side effects can be, difficult or slowed breathing, drowsiness leading to coma) .Can one really guarantee that this side effect cannot be extrapolated to older aged children. It is like gamblingwith the health of the child.
As a parent why would we even consider giving such drugs to our children, and as health professionals do we explain the possible side effects of such drugs to parents?
Sometimes parents get desperate as when travelling with their children on long haul flights. As a parent one can understand one side of the argument but then the counter-argument of not knowing the side-effects and the danger of neurological reactions are over-riding factors in seeking alternatives.
So what are the alternatives?
If you were only open to evidenced-based alternatives then consider the various options stated in AppleADayRX app. The best combination would be:
- Using 1drop of Lavender oil in 25mls of sweet almond oil and massage the infant or cgild
- Massage the feet as that would help ground the infant /child
- Try Room diffusion of a couple of drops of Lavender to 600 ls of hot water (safely out of reach)
- Enrol or teach your child simple, basic (animal) yoga poses (email me and I can send you some info)
- Visit your homeopath for a consult or purchase any homeopathic remedy e.g Kali Phos, Ignatia, Coffea , Pulsatilla,etc for children from your local health food store. You might only believe that homeopathics only have a placebo effect, but trying these remedies may change your mind.
- Ayurvedic remedies – including warm milk with ghee, feet massage with warm sesame oil.
Seriously how long does it take to implement any of the above? Both the parent and particularly the child will thank you for helping them! As a by-product you will open up a new way of holistic thinking for the parent. What do you have to loose? Give it a try! If the case is more complicated then please email me for advice on strategic therapeutic intervention.